I'll be traveling to the Oceanic region from February 15th thru March 6th. The path goes like this: Melbourne, Sydney, Brisbane, Gold Coast, Auckland, Rotorua. This is an account of my adventures should I choose to become an illegal immigrant and never return. Wish me luck.

Friday, February 29, 2008

Lost in byron

Sorry for the lack of updates but Byron is just too brillant to waist
time on a computer. I finally feel like I'm getting a real piece of
australian culture. The people here are real and the environment is as
close to heaven I think you can get. There are no mcdonalds no lofts
no cheesy tourist shirt stands. Its all real and I love it. Love it so
much that we decided to spend the rest of our time in Australia here.
We had planned to head up to the gold coast today but we've heard its
basically like Miami and I have no interest in that whole thing. We
are still going to hit Steve Irwins zoo on the last day but Byron is
all I need. In fact a lot of the people I've met here came to stay for
like a week and now they've been here 6 months. A bunch of American
draft dodgers came during Vietnam and that how the hippy movement
entered the picture but now its turned this whole shire into a very
vibrant arts and activists community. It is a top holiday destination
but the locals won't let it get developed which makes it perfect. Its
a little like going to petoskey but less yuppy more hippy. This is a
spot I will definetly be revisiting. Its worth the journey trust me.
The past two days have been a blur but here's some stuff we did in no
particular order.

Parties at the art factory with the locals

Learned that aborigines have it worse then native Americans. Most die
by age 45.

Icing the eskey = filling the cooler with ice

Bitch fizz = zima

Went to the nimbin museum and was offered drugs no less then twenty
times. Its more of an LSD trip then a museum. Its basically where
hippies have left their shit for the past 30 years.

Took a bus ride through the hills of Byron going about 60mph listening
to dark side if the moon. You seriously had to be there hopefully the
video does it justice.

Saw a real f'n koala in a tree having lunch in the wild!!!!! Maybe
the highlight of the trip. We were out in the woods. It was like one
in a million.

Had a rainy day to just chill

Watched an Aussie footie game

Met an indoneisian name Johnny Ganjah who played us reggae music.

Went to a club called cheeky monkeys which had a haunting resemblance
to The Dollar for those who know what I'm talking about. The drinking
age is 18 here so the bars are always packed with girls with too much
makeup on and guys with too much cologne. Its funny.

So that's it for now hopefully we can make it out of Byron bay and
into new Zealand by next week but we'll see.


Sent from my iPhone

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home